Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sans Soda Product Review





I had a chance to grab a free can of Sans Soda after a free weekend  bootcamp that I do twice per month. Sans Soda flavors are Cola, Lemon Lime, Orange, and Root Beer.  I grabbed the Black Cherry Soda.

If you’ve read this blog, you know that I don’t do diet drinks at all.  I have from time to time sweetened foods/drinks like Cream of Wheat and non-caffinated tea with pure maple syrup, honey, or  agave nectar.  Other than that, I have not bought ice cream, drinks or anything else “sweetened” with your typical “natural” sweeteners like stevia, molasses, xylitol (is that a natural sweetener?), etc.

Since I’m in Phase #3 of my weight loss, I decided to “try” it.  I say “try” because I did not drink the whole can, I just took a few sips.

The 1st thing I do when I decide to try something like this is do some research on the sweetener.  Sans Soda is sweetened with Rebiana, which is considered on the label as a natural sweetener. 

When I do the research, my goal is to see if there are negatives to the sweetener like there are with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, etc.

Rebiana is the name of a pure calorie sweetener made from Stevia. Rebiana is derived from a specific part of the stevia plant.  Rebiana was approved by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in 2008.  I have not seen any negative information on Google about Rebiana.   So it passes that test.  However,  I would advise you to Google Rebiana to get more information to satisfy your comfort level.

Next is the taste test.  For me, the aftertaste reminded me of my memory of diet drink aftertastes from way back.  But again, that’s just me!  It must be that I just don’t make it a habit to eat or drink things with “natural” sweeteners in it like Stevia, etc.  That habit has worked out well for me.

So from a standpoint of whether SansSoda is bad for you in comparison with sodas with artificial sweeteners, I personally don’t have any qualms about it.  However, since I am used to not eating or drinking things with “natural sweeteners,” and it’s worked well for me, I’ve decided not to change that approach.  If you do choose to drink Sans Soda, there are other product reviews out there.  I recommend that you check out the reviews on Amazon.com.
.

Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment