Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sugar = Bad!

By sugar, I mean added sugar or refined sugar, not naturally occurring sugar in fruits.  If you google sugar and obesity, over 33 million results will come up.  It is no secret that our increased consumption of sugar has contributed to obesity.

There is a relation in our bodies between the amount of sugar consumed, the amount of insulin released from our pancreas, and the amount of fat stored because of the sugar consumption/insulin secretion.  It all adds up to weight gain and potentially other bad side effects (diabetes, etc.).

Some experts have even gone so far as to call for a tax on sugar (like alcohol) because of it's bad effects.

Like HFCS, I didn't know all the bad effects of sugar, just that in general it was bad for you.  I could see how all the sugar I ate help contribute to my sumo weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment